Back to

11.10.06

the scout

well. i finally arrived at my destination.
the last time i was in new orleans was in april. my mom was all excited because the street lights had been turned back on in the week since she'd visited. the progress this time was: as of a few days ago chalmette finally has a grocery store and a mcdonalds (first restaraunt other than taco trucks) ...and the 9th ward has a traffic light that has power, if not function.
it wasn't nearly as deserted as the last time, wehre we could drive for 30 minutes without seeing life. but still, there are only a couple houses in each neighborhood being actively worked on. the rest just sitting, gutted..or not.

i guess i have a lot to process, see howthe reality fits in with the images i was building in my head. as dramatic as my uncle and his mother-in law's house are, i don't think they are going to serve my purposes. but....i'm still figuring out what exactly my 'purposes' are.




humor


my uncle's old house, outside



inside.



their new house.



their mother-in-law's house.





other houses on their street.







the lucky ones? the brave ones? the stupid ones?




the villain of it all..



the one that got the cops called on me...and maybe the painting?


not a very good picture, but my favorite thing a little closer to home.

1 comment:

piper. said...

kimmy i really like your blog. i think your ideas and your life are interesting and brave. i miss the atchafalaya. i don't know why, and i won't miss it for long, but i do right now.