Back to

17.10.06

no pictures of jazz

i didn't bring my camera into the maple leaf,
cause i didn't want to hide behind it.
i'm thinking i'll frequent there,
so i'll bring my camera when i'm ready to ask if they'll let me take a picture of the maple leaf on the floor.



jazz is awesome.
there were 4 musicians, the crowd, and me.
maybe the speakers count too.
and the aluminum relief wall covering, painted bright red with metalic silver trim.
and the unfinished wood floors.
i don't recall these bouncing as much, but people weren't jumping around this time. it was a much more mellow, feet planted and swaying kind of vibe.

funny that my aquantances visiting from baltimore turned me onto the club, although wheni asked natalie she said it was mr. carl's favorite place in ne worleans so that pretty much settled it for me, i had to go.
but they ended up introducing me to their localfriend, (who happens to be a filmmaker) and he introduced me to the artist accross the street--frenchy.
frenchy is a rather porlific painter. his studio is covered wall to wall in perversely bright canvases with hectic strokes fillin gin quick moments in live performances--including saints games, he's the official team painter and paints on the sidelines.

needless to say this was a very valuable experience for me.
gave me a lot to think about.
like, wow-my instinct to use bright colors totally comes from here. comes this far back.
and also brought up questions of exploitation and capitalization. things i'm sure i'll keep thinking about and will hopefully avoid.

:)

but back to the music. at one moment i found myself cheering the sax on in my head- like come on, you can do it.
they handed him the groove for the first time and it felt like he wasn't sure how to take it for himself.
and what an amalgam of humans in the band.
the guitarist was this older asian guy and the keyboardist/singer was this kinda oveweight schlumpy white guy, who startled the hell out of me when i heard what was ocming out of his mouth. so cooool. heh.
yep, i'll be going back there.




ok.
gonna try to actually get up early tomorrow and get out there doin it.
darnit, got me sum idears tongiht.

No comments: